Followers

Monday, March 31, 2014

How About a Little Rock 'n Roll!

I'm honored to be invited as a Guest Designer by Lesia of Memas Crafts for the challenge of April 1 with the topic of "Anything Goes with an optional twist of make it Spring or Easter".  I chose to do a card without the optional twist.

Before you see my card, I'd like to note that this card would not look like this without the help of my teammate from The Paper Shelter, Lena. Lena made a card with this image and I've cased two ideas from her card:  1) the records and 2) ribbon/charm idea. Thank you to Lena for such fabulous ideas!


Although born in mid-50's, I never embraced the music nor the styles of the 50's so this card was quite a challenge.  I made this card for a young man, Austin, whose birthday is coming up and he adores the 50's styles and music (and he has red hair)! My friend, Bobbi (Austin's mom), told me that checkered patterns were big in the 50's, hence the black and white checkered background. I remember the movie "Grease" where John Travolta wore a black leather jacket, and the music from that movie is awesome. Austin is an accomplished bass member in a band, as well as an accomplished drummer in another band...so I went with the theme of music in this 50's card. You can find this image at The Paper Shelter.

The records are black shiny cardstock, cut with a circle punch and then a black Sharpie run around the edges since the paper has a white core and I didn't want any white to show. The red music label is actually a pink button colored red with my Copics with a black punched circle glued in the middle. The music note die cut was given to me with some other diecuts from a friend at Christmas and I don't know who made it (I added black glitter to the music notes). The corner rhinestones are actually swarovski red crystals and the rest of the embellishments are from my stash.

Coloring this image was awesome. So many choices for colors, but I thought a red convertible might be classic for the 50's. I added some Glossy Accents on the rear headlight and the rear view mirror and I used my Copics to color this.


Thank you, Lesia, for inviting me to be one of your Guest Designers for this challenge and I'd like to encourage everyone to join the challenge at Memas Crafts where "Anything Goes with an optional twist of make it Spring or Easter"!

                                                                 Hugs,
                                                                 Gail

This card is entered in the following challenges:
Li'l Red Wagon, Alphabet Challenge, Sister Act Card Challenge, Sweet Stampin', All Sorts, Crafty Catz, Make My Monday, Simon Says Wednesday Challenge, Live Laugh Stamp, Corrosive Challenges, Scrapbook Stamp SocietyThat Craft Place, Crafty Ribbons, Little Miss Muffet, Paper Crafting Journey

22 comments:

  1. Fabulous fifties card, Gail! You’ve captured the whole rock ‘n’ roll vibe beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW look at this! Brilliant! Gail can you choose two images from Mi Ran's shop and let me know your choices when you have time please. Judy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail this is gorgeous.

    Thanks for join us at ScrapbookStampSociety Challenge.

    Greetings Karin DT Coördinator


    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous, Thank you for showing us this week at Sweet Stampin', Good Luck. Debbiex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a brilliant card and beautifully coloured.. Thank you for sharing and joining in with the fun at Sweet Stampin’ this week and good luck. Hugs Janine xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this card is amazing. I love how you made the records. The black and white check is perfect. We used to have a fifties style restaurant in town and that was done in the black and white checkered theme. This is one of my favorites! Hope you don't mind if I pin it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun...love the record buttons and the music die cut! Thank you so much for joining us in the Anything Goes with Buttons Challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gail.
    Absolutely fabulous, love the colours and your beautiful colouring.

    Thank you for sharing at Allsorts, good luck;-))m

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is SO adorable! Those records are the greatest! What a cool idea. Love the music notes, and your coloring is wonderful. All the details are perfect. Thanks so much for joining us at The Corrosive Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! Cool card, thanks for sharing with us at Alphabet Challenges. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, what a great card, its absolutely stunning x love it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonderful creation, thanks for playing along with CRAFTY RIBBONS x carol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on being featured on Little Red Wagon!
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous card, love all the details!
    Thanks so much for playing along in my March wordplay saturday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun card, its awesome! Thank you for joining us at Crafty Ribbons, hope to see you join in again soon :-) Elaine DT -xxx-

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cute card! I love it. Thanks for joining us at SACC this week. Good luck.
    Maureen DT

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hurrah for you, Gail - this beautiful creation definitely has the "50's" touch to it and I'm sure Austin will be absolutely tickled with it !! This is fabulously done, and the colors you chose are perfect. Awesome coloring, with all the red, black and white -- makes me want to head to the local hang-out for a burger and fries and soda !! And, maybe a bit of cruising along the way .. . AWESOME card !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great card, check out that quiff! - perfect for our challenge this week at MMM - thanks for joining in - Jacqueline xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your card. So Stylish and love the layout. Thankyou for joining us at That Craft Place. Good Luck and hope to see you again soon.
    Hugs Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great card, fabulous colouring and super embellishments! Thanks for joining our Transport challenge at Sweet Stampin' this week and I hope you will be able to join us again soon! Love Jacky x

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMGGG, I absolutely LOVE this card... I'm pretty sure Austin is going crazy when He sees it!! this card is made to perfection..you thought carefully in all the details.. and you did not put too much nor too little of embellies.. just enough! oh gosh... it is stunning! hope you get lots of TOP3 and be a winner with it!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete